Established April 1, 1988
Rabbitt Hill consists of 58 building located on nearly 30 acres in the district.
The Rabbit Hill National Historic District was designated as a National Historic District by the Massachusetts Historical Commission on April 1, 1988. The district is located in West Medway on Rabbit Hill. Its central point is the Community Church built in 1814. There are 58 building located on nearly 30 acres in the district. The district draws its name from the most significant geographical feature in the area – RABBIT HILL. Originally the entire area was a stony pasture with scrub growth and largely inhabited by rabbits. The land was deeded to the Second Church of Christ by Jabez Shumway in 1814 (now the site of the Community Church).
Almost all the houses in the district are 100 years old or more. Main Street (Route 109) was opened in 1810, Milford and Highland Streets in 1829 and 1834-5 respectively. Most of the building within the district took place within the first 75 years of the 19th century. The significant quality of the district is the preservation of an earlier New England village scene. Its cohesive nature along with the quality and styles of the homes adds distinction to the area. The district has some of Medway’s best examples of Federal, Greek Revival and Victorian buildings. Enjoy them as you walk through the Rabbit Hill Historic District.